Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Routing a Channel for the Binding

I decided to go with some plastic binding thinking it would be more sturdy.  And to save some work, I decided to not use any purfling.  To cut the channel for the binding, I made a jig that included my router.  The reason for this is because if you just run the router around the edges using the front or back as the router base you will end up with a channel that is not straight.  The panels are not at 90 degree angles with the sides.  So the jig uses the sides as the router guide.

I got the idea for the router jig at this web page:
http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/people/sevy/luthierie/guitarmaking_guide/binding/binding.html

I started with the piece of wood I used when routing the groove for the rosette.  It was already drilled through for the router base.  I mounted that piece vertically on another piece of wood that I could clamp to the workbench.


Around and in front of the router bit opening is a thin piece of wood that the front or back panel will ride on during routing.  Then coming straight out from there is a piece of wood that the guitar side will sit on as the guitar is rotated through the cut.


I adjusted the cut to where it needed to be and secured the side guide as shown above.  Then I routed a piece of scrap wood and tested the fit with a piece of the binding.



With much hesitation, I ran the guitar through the jig, front and back.  Some spots needed to be hit twice if I did not have the guitar firmly against the jig.  Here's the same piece of the binding sitting in the groove I routed in the back of the guitar.


Finally, here's a bigger piece of the binding being held in place.  I'll glue it soon.  Before that I must complete the routing on the tail end that will have some of the same inlay as the back.


No comments:

Post a Comment