Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Getting Started

About ten years ago, one of my coworkers made his own acoustic guitar.  He didn't use a kit; everything was hand made.  I had always thought that I might give that a try one day.  I guess that day has arrived.  I was looking for a new woodworking project to start and that one came to mind.


After doing some online research, I purchased a book called "Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology."  This seemed to be one of the most highly regarded books on the subject.  So for the most part I will try to follow the steps laid out in this book and record my progress here.

The first thing I did was to make a paper template of the guitar face.  Since I drew it freehand, I only made half of the face and I'll flip it over for the other half.  That will keep everything symmetrical.


The body will be 20 inches long and 16 inches wide.  I cut this template out in preparation for transferring it to wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment