Sunday, December 11, 2011

Making the Workboard

The next step is to make a "workboard" for the project.  This is a work surface shaped like the guitar that will be used as a base for the construction.  I started by tracing the template I just made onto a piece of 3/4" pressboard.  Allowing a half inch extra all around plus a 3" wide extension at the neck and heel, I cut out this shape with a scroll saw.  (A band saw would have been better, but I don't have one.)  I traced the resulting shape onto a second piece of pressboard and cut it out as well.  These were glued together to form a 1.5" thick workboard.

Next, the book specifies a border of 1/8" thick cork be glued to the workboard with a piece of paper over the middle.  Here's how my board turned out:

A couple of things to note here.  First, you can see in the picture that the cork is at the edge of the workboard.  After I had it installed, I realized that the book wanted the cork border to be out to the edge of the guitar template, not out to the extra half inch of the workboard.  My cork does continue inside the template border so it should be okay.
Second, the wooden block in the picture will be used later to hold down the soundboard.

Now that the workboard is complete, it is time to start working on the actual guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment